Sunday 25 May 2014

Cute as a Button

on the left
Button Cottage, Alstonefield.

Joining Mary @ the little red house for Mosaic Monday once again.

It's been many moons since I had something as pretty as Button Cottage, Alstonefield (our home away from home during our recent stay in the Derbyshire Peak District) to share.
It's the building on the left with our Skoda Yeti parked outside.
The pretty home next door on the right is my idea of a chocolate box country cottage.



(photo from Button Cottage website)
 The cottage was comfortably furnished with antiques, vintage items and modern touches.


A pretty little corner at the front of the cottage would have been perfect for a petit dejeuner for two, if only the sun had come out long enough between the rain showers. C'est la vie.

quirky hessian shoppers decorate the porch
an eclectic mix of object's on the dresser
a vintage leather armchair complete with button throw pillow
I fell in love with the paint colour used on doors and windows & the table and chairs in front of house. The vintage dresser held an eclectic mix of French pottery plates, Emma Bridgewater mugs, dried flowers, thank you cards from previous clients, paintings and bric a brac.
Plenty of Ordnance Survey maps of the area for serious walkers, brochures from area attractions such as Chatsworth and Tissington and most importantly the latest menu from the George the gastro pub just steps away from Button cottage across the village green.

the village green, a popular place for walkers to rest outside the George.
our bedroom
(photo from Button Cottage website)


Despite the grandeur this antique French lit was very comfortable, the vine wallpaper, linen throw pillows and window blind decorated with embroidered bees made our bedroom a relaxing place to rest and read.
view from the kitchen window
I've seen this Emma Bridgewater "Black Toast" pottery somewhere before.
Oh, that's right, I have it here at home in Normandy, too!


9 comments:

  1. I could be very happy in Button Cottage! Your photos are lovely and make me long for just that sort of holiday.
    I love Emma Bridgewater's Black Toast. I don't know why on earth I didn't bring back a piece or two. Ah well, it's good to have a reason to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I come to England -- and I WILL come to England -- I'm going to have to get a full list of all the best spots to be! Button Cottage would be on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, funny thing is I visited Button Floozies blog just before clicking over to this one. You should visit. I think you would like it.
    Button Cottage looks like a delightful retreat. I noticed the French pottery right off and also the Emma Bridgewater pieces. I've longed for a piece of EM pottery since eating off your wonderful dishes. Someday a piece or two must grace our table. '-)
    Thanks for sharing. So good to see you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie-- you must have had such a wonderful vacation-- the cottage is just darling. Beautiful photos of all the rooms-- they are magazine worthy!

    Lucky you:)

    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Button Cottage looks like a lovely get-a-way. I adore pottery of all kinds and think I'd love Button Cottage. You can never have too much Emma Bridgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place for a getaway! Lovely images of the rooms and the pottery. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely place to stay. I would love to go there. I really liked these towns when we traveled through England about 8 years ago, and wished I could stay in one of these cottages.
    Have a wonderful week. I am joining you through Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Button Cottage is such a dear name for a cozy place to stay. Love the pottery and that little writing desk. I'm making a file and adding all kinds of links to it for our proposed visit to England next summer. How will we ever choose what areas to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It just looks wonderful. I would enjoy a stay there. Makes me want to pack my bags
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!