Thursday 16 October 2014

Very easy peasy apple cobbler



I'm sure that, like me, you have discovered all sorts of recipes from bloggers worldwide.
Some of the ones we try don't work for us or aren't to our taste, others go into our repertoire tout suite!
I recently was introduced through facebook to Marie's blog "The English Kitchen" by my blogging pal, Jenny.
Marie is a Canadian who lives in the UK where for the past twelve years she has been cooking up a storm debunking the myth that English food is bland, one recipe at a time.
Each time I visit I want to try that day's recipe and the one I want to share with you today is my version of her easy cherry cobbler.
Click here for a link to Marie's recipe, there's a printable version available too.
It really did seem ridiculously easy to make but not having a can of sour cherries in my larder I had to look around for some other fruit to use instead.
Enter the SP clutching the last of the apples and pears from our espaliered trees et voila, very easy peasy apple cobbler was on the menu.



Now, Marie does warn that this pud won't win any prizes for it's good looks but who cares? What if it's a little rough and ready looking.
Ladies and gents let me tell you this is the most divine tasting dessert/afters/pud that I have tasted in many a long day.
It takes comfort food not only to the next level but to infinity and beyond!



Think I might be exaggerating ever so slightly?

Well, why not make it this weekend for your family and let me know if I'm not right.
This is a recipe that you'll go to over and over again, I know I shall.

Preheat your oven to 200*C/ 400*F/ gas mark 7.

1lb cooking apples peeled, cored and sliced
140g (1 cup) plain flour
2 slightly heaped tsp baking powder
245g sugar divided (1 1/4 cup) (plus extra for poaching the apples if using)
225ml milk (1 cup)
pinch salt
125g butter, melted.


Poach the sliced apples in a saucepan with a little sugar & water until softened but not mushy, allow to cool a little. Meanwhile in a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, 1 cup/200g sugar, milk & salt. Pour the melted butter into a 2 litre baking dish, pour the batter into the dish then add the fruit. Don't mix! Sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar and bake for about 30 minutes until the pud is golden brown on top and the juices are bubbling.
Marie dusted her cobbler with icing sugar after it had cooled a little but I couldn't wait to taste mine so omitted that step and served it a la mode - vanilla ice cream with a little double cream poured over it so that it freezes slightly and cracks when you dip in the spoon!


Serves 4 if they're hungry, 6 if they're not.
In the unlikely event that there is any cobbler left over (!) gently warm it through in the microwave, it'll still knock your socks off the next day.

Linking this post to Foodie Friday
hosted by
Gollum (aka Michael Lee West)
@  Rattlebridge Farm

13 comments:

  1. Yum. There's nothing better than a good apple cobbler or crisp on a fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, my sister in law has been harvesting apples from her trees, and she said she no sooner gets a pie or cobbler baked and the kids all show up to devour it. She makes an apple raspberry pie that is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, I brought home a bag of apples from the store this afternoon. This sounds like a nice treat! Will make us a cobbler. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggi, I love LOVE that you used apples for this! Thanks so much for the lovely word re my blog. You made my day! I am going to try your version with some pears I have in the shed from our autumn harvest! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desert looks soooo good. I may just have to try it now because we picked apples from the apple tree and have apples to spare. I don't bake much any more, but my husband would love this. Sometimes I will bake a pie or something and invite our friends for desert Sunday evening. This would be perfect. And so are your photos, Maggie. Have a good week end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saved that recipe right away! Looks and sound divine..it is making me hungry!
    Thanks!
    Cerelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a great recipe to try....yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie! YUM! That looks wonderful! I wish I had some right now, but I used up my apples! Thank you for sharing! Thank you for including cup measurements, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Maggie...I am such a lover of apple sweets..they are simply heavenly. I am definitely going to try this recipe and have a peek at Marie's blog. Never one to be thwarted by the looks of my food..I'm game!

    Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is apple time here and I am putting this recipe on my list to make. This looks so yummy, my mouth is watering! You have a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am making this for sure. Funny, last night my husband asked me what a cobbler is and I had a hard time explaining. Well, he'll find out this weekend!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! My sister just dropped off ingredients for my niece's potluck dish so I could make her dish for today. She bought two cans of cherries because she did not know how many cans the recipe required. She said keep the extra. It only took one so I have cherries!!! Pinned.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!