Tuesday 27 July 2010

Courgette Fritter Recipe a la Fanny Flagg

Gayle over at Garden of Daisies has requested the recipe for the courgette fritters featured in my last post.
Adapted from Fannie Flagg's squash croquette recipe found in the Original Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook.
Firstly, in a large saucepan, bring to the boil in 1 cup of water 2 pounds of courgettes and 1 cup of chopped white or yellow onion, add half a teaspoon of salt.
When the courgettes are soft, drain well to remove all the excess liquid, transfer to a large bowl and mash coarsely with a potato masher adding quarter of a cup of butter and seasoning with white pepper.
To this mixture you then add 2 egg yolks, 1 cup of crushed saltines (you can also use TUC biscuits or even Doritos, as I did last time), and half a cup of self raising flour.
Stir everything together.
Beat 2 egg whites, until stiff peaks form, and fold into the courgette mixture.
Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep frying pan, drop heaped tablespoonsful of the mixture into the hot oil and deep fry until golden.
Sprinkle with fleur de sel and serve, voila!
Makes 12 if they like it and 18 if they don't.

11 comments:

  1. Good for you, Maggie. Gardening and cooking!
    I don't have a garden anymore but I sure remember what a pleasure it was to pick veggies and go right inside to toss them in a salad or cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! :)
    I also just simply slice squash, egg wash, flour & fry. As my old neighbor said, "If it ain't worth fyin, it ain't worth eatin!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done anything like this - so will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maggie - I know I'll love this recipe. My husband brushes thick slices in olive oil, adds seasoning and grills them on the bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just give these a go - they look so nice and crunchy - I could even use them in my veggie burgers! I have courgettes waiting to be played with - was going to make a frittata for supper now I'm torn between the two - decisions, decisions!

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound delectable! And I have zucchini (courgettes) in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting the recipe!! They look so good! I know my vegetarian daughter will like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, Maggie. I'm going to forward this one to my in house chef. :-)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Fanny Flagg! This looks wonderful. Thanks for your sweet visit to my greece blog - we had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olá!!
    Que delícia colher as verduras frescas!!
    até mais

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!