Saturday 5 July 2008

Beetroot Bonanza



This is the first year that I have grown beetroot, I bought the young plantlets from a vendor at the local market in Le Molay Littry so can't claim all the glory but am pleased as punch with the results.

The first ones I harvested were cooked simply - skin on, tops cut off and then peeled & sliced, we ate them cold with ham & cheese but this week feeling a little more adventurous I made beet soup adapted from a Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe which I found in a magazine.

Delicious!

Flushed with success I've bought some beetroot seeds and hope to grow my own plantlets for a second crop.

Bon weekend a tout

Maggie

4 comments:

  1. Hey - great beets ! Hope mine work out so well......

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sis
    send recipe for lettuce soup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are lovely. I was just in France and I'm not sure if it is a type of beet that is popular there or just the time they leave them in the soil, but I've never in my life have seen them so large! Our seem to be no larger than a tennis ball, and I don't remember them being much bigger when I lived in the UK. I don't know how they would do in Florida, but after seeing yours, I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!