Sunday 29 May 2016

Omaha Beach Memorial Day tribute 2016


In the past I've often shared photographs of our Sunday beach walks taken down at Vierville sur Mer or Colleville sur Mer.
A pair of small coastal villages with views across the Channel to England on the opposite shore.
What some of you may not know is that together these beaches are also known as Omaha beach.

Today we celebrate la Fête des Mères in France and Memorial Day in the US
with a visit to the 172 acre American Cemetery situated high on the cliff above Omaha Beach.
The final resting place of 9387 Americans.
 
 
The natural footpath that leads away from the dunes is strewn with wildflowers.


As we left the beach we decided on the spur of the moment to visit the cemetery to pay our respects on this auspicious day.



What we didn't realise was that the Memorial Day ceremony organised by the American Battle Monuments Commission was taking place.
We joined the hundreds of visitors from around the world, mainly from the US, Germany, UK, Belgium and France, to listen to the speeches and the benediction before the wreath laying ceremony began.


You might find this article posted on the Smithsonian.com website interesting, I know I did.
Why a Walk Along the Beaches of Normandy is the Ideal Way to Remember D Day
I learned so much more about the events of that time despite having lived here for almost 20 years.


I'm afraid the quality of the photographs isn't brilliant, I was standing at the very back of the crowd and only had my point and shoot camera with me today.
 

Joining Judith @ Lavender Cottage
for Mosaic Monday

and the gang over @
Our World Tuesday
 

16 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Maggie. We're looking forward to going to Juno Beach in July - perhaps that will be the day we meet up!
    It is good to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maggie! How meaningful. I'm going to click over and read more. Thank you for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So moved by your post. I was in Normandy over thirty years ago and my visit to the cemeteries stays with me. I'm going to post about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, thank you for sharing this. Yes, a visit to the beaches and the cementary is very touching. When we visited in 1999, we were with a group. Four were veterans who had served in WWII, and one girl was the daughter of an American soldier laid to rest there. We arrived near closing, then were allowed to stay after hours for a private wreath laying cermony in honor of this girl's dad. It was the most touching experience of the trip and one I'll never forget. Tears in my eyes as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, it was wonderful that you were able to be there during this celebration and ceremony. I think one of my uncles was a veteran of the WWII and was in Normandy. Happy Memorial Day, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, Very nice post! Your shots are beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.
    I've linked at Mosaic Monday too! Come over and visit my little cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting us know about these wonderful ceremonies to commemorate all those that gave their lives on the D-Day beaches.

    Donna@GardensEyeView
    and LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's heartwarming to see such a special ceremony of this magnitude to honour the fallen.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very moving post.We sometimes forget just how many service men lost their lives on those beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post reminded me of Logan's and my trip to Normandy and tour of the cemeteries. Your photo of Roger and Fleur on the beach was poignant for me. My dad's cousin is buried at the American Cemetery, and while we were there, our guide pressed damp beach same into his name and date of death so the would show in photographs. He planted a French and an American flag on either side of his stone. The pictures were meaningful to his nephew. The best part of that trip was seeing you and Roger and your pups at your beautiful home. I learned to love G&T's with you two and Jan & Tony! Lots of love to you both, Bobbie

    PS we stayed at D'Aubusson on left bank. I recommend it highly--great location for walking everywhere, charming rooms with amazing breakfast. Reasonably priced. We'll go back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marvelous post honoring all our veterans ~ beautiful photography ~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post Maggie - I visited the nearby beaches & cemetery just 2 weeks ago whilst staying in the village of Bayeux - as it was late in the afternoon - we were privileged to be able to watch the very moving flag-lowering ceremony. A beautiful place with many sad and courageous stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so very much Maggie for sharing this. I have heard that to visit there is one of the most moving experiences that anyone can have on any given day and so I can only imagine the beauty and emotions that came from being present on this solemn day of celebration. God bless all whom fought the battle for all of our freedoms~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maggie, thanks so much for sharing your moving post! I hope to visit Normandy soon and visit these beaches! Wishing you a beautiful week! Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find Omaha Beach and the cemeteries among the most moving and beautiful places in the world. It boggles my mind thinking of approaching the coast and climbing that embankment while being shot at. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's certainly a privilege to visit such sites, and I have had that opportunity too. I think that what makes this post special is that this is a place that is familiar to you in an everyday sense, but you brought us a view of its special significance - almost stumbled upon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!