Sunday, 8 May 2016

the latest news from Normandy

Since last I blogged there's been a drama which caused quite a bit of stress and a very wonderful trip to a fascinating European city.
Friday 22 April started off cold and wet so around lunch time the Senior Partner decided to light the wood burner and make the house warm and cosy for the afternoon.
Little did we know.
Quite shortly thereafter we had a raging chimney fire due to nesting birds dropping all sorts of twigs and debris down around the chimney flue which then combusted.
911 (US), 999 (UK) or in our case 118 are the telephone numbers that bring help and support quickly when needed.

Within a very short time the fire services from Bayeux, Isigny sur Mer and Le Molay Littry (14 firemen and 1 firewoman) arrived to save our beautiful 16th century Presbytery from going up in flames!

The fire caused no significant damage although the wood burner had to be removed and manhandled outdoors and the chimney opened up so that they could put out the fire.
The rug and parquet floor weren't too badly affected by soot, it may look messy but we were so lucky, it could have been so much worse.
The fire chief told us that with houses as old as ours if the fire had reached the attics there could have been a very different outcome.

The smouldering remains of the fire removed from the chimney.

What a great team effort, thanks pompiers/sapeurs!

Once the danger was over M'Selle Fleur was allowed outside to meet the teams.

Thanks again but we really do hope not to see you again soon!
It took a couple of days to get the room clean again, the insurance assessor will come in the next few days to make their report.
The stove fitter has ordered the parts required to reinstall the wood burner once that is done.

Hopefully very soon the sitting room will look like this once more.

So where did we head off to as an antidote to all the excitement?
First clue.

Buda castle
Second clue.

Parliament buildings on the Pest side of the Danube



  1. Hi Maggie! Yikes! A fire! I'm glad everything is okay! Budapest? Exciting!

  2. Oh no, that was a terrible experience for you both Maggie! Thank goodness it was brought under control quickly by those handsome pompiers, and that they were able to save your beautiful home from more extensive damage. Know you must have been really scared.

    Ahhhh, beautiful Budapest - one of my most favorite cities in the world - love it there and hopefully will return for a third visit one day!

    Off to Ireland on Wed., a first time visit for me. Packing rain boots and raincoats - sure to need them whilst tramping around the Emerald Isle!

    Have fun - take care.
    Hugs - Mary

    1. Budapestre látogattok? jó utazást kívánok szeretettel

  3. Hi Maggie, I am glad that the fire didn't cause a lot of damage. We use wood burning stoves when I grew up on the farm. I can remember my dad cleaning out the soot from the chimney. I love to see pictures of your trips. It is my way of traveling. Have a wonderful one. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

  4. Glad you two had this wonderful trip and that the fire was quickly tended to.
    Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend. It's gray and cool here with rain in the forecast. '-)

  5. Happy to read that the fire caused no significant damage! Hope the firefighters were handsome! ;)

  6. Oh my! My first visit and the whole place nearly burnt down! Glad all is well, and I am looking forward to perusing your blog while you try to forget it all. :)

  7. Oh my goodness, Maggie! I'm very glad the pompiers were so prompt and helpful. Budapest is a city I'd love to visit one day - glad you had a good time there.

  8. Yikes. I'm so glad it wasn't worse but sorry you had to deal with it in the first place. Interesting about the nests -- I should be aware of that at the cottage. I would have thought the smoke damage much worse so I suppose you got off relatively well. Let's hope that the insurance folk are generous! So glad you were all all right.

  9. So sorry that happened, but relieved that the firefighters were prompt and your home was saved.

  10. Oh my glad it wasn't any worse, and that no one was harmed. A trip away sounds like just the cure for all that drama.

  11. Seldom do fire stories end as happy as yours. How frightening. We had a fire in our house some years ago. A candle was left burning and caught a dresser top on fire. We, too, were lucky. Thank goodness for those fire fighters. The smoke and soot damage are always awful to clean up, too. So I am very glad that you are safe and that your home still stands. More of Budapest? I hope.

  12. Oh no! You must be so relieved that firefighters were able to get there quickly and prevent further damage. And what a nice getaway! Hope to see more photos!

  13. I am glad to read that you escaped with no serious damage, though you will have a lot to deal with as it is. We had a chimney fire at Pondside House about 5 years ago and the seriousness really came home to me when the firemen used a sensor to check all of the walls. There is always fear that a fire will be quietly smoldering between the walls or floor and ceiling.
    I look forward to reading about Budapest!

  14. So grateful that your fire was extinguished with the minimum of damage! Very frightening when something like that happens.


Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!