Sunday 13 December 2009

Oh! Christmas Tree, oh! Christmas Tree.


The last but one Monday before the holidays begin means I'm sharing my tree mosaics with everyone participating in Mosaic Monday over at Mary's little red house.
I'm always amazed at the marvellous diversity of mosaics which one can see there, so do give yourself a treat and visit Mary today.
It might be the busiest time of the year but one seasonal ritual cannot be forgone and that is decorating the Christmas Tree.

We always have two trees, one in the sitting room and a larger one in the library. For many years I withstood the cajoling from my DH to have "fake" trees but finally surrended gracefully one or two years back, and have to say I haven't regretted the decision.

So much less mess in January.

One afternoon last week I assembled my boxes in the library, popped A Wonderful Life into the DVD player, brewed a pot of tea and submerged myself in the joy of it all.

I'll show you the silver and white decorated, sitting room, tree on Wednesday.
In 1840 Prince Albert put up a Christmas tree (a German custom) at Windsor Castle. This soon became very fashionable in England.

Oh! Christmas Tree click here for words and music.

"If you wish to make the holly look snow-laden, moisten it with weak gum, or starch water, and then sprinkle with flour from a dredger"

How to Decorate the House at Christmas Time, from (Victorian) Cassell's Family Magazine.


Before you go .......................I want to tell you about one of my favourite blogs, Jane's "Blondie's Journals". For a wonderful Christmas Tree tale click here, it's magic! Even Scrooge wouldn't say "Humbug".

21 comments:

  1. Maggie your mosaics are always beautiful too. Your tree looks wonderful, very festive, will look forward to seeing the other one. Have not yet given in to the fake tree, but it will probably come later down the road.

    Have a beautiful Normandy Sunday!

    All best,
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mosaics. We normally travel over Christmas, so we don't have a tree or tree trimming stuff. This year, though, we're thinking of staying home. Hmmm...

    In any case, I'll enjoy your tree. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tree is beautiful. You have the perfect location, in front of the window. Last year we bought a fake tree, much to the disgust of our grown children. You're right - it's so much easier in January, when one is inevitably alone for the clean up!
    This year we'll put the tree up on the Saturday before Christmas. Our son and his family will arrive on Friday,and they want to help with the tree-trimming. I love the idea of two trees - perhaps next year..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Christmassy collage Maggie. I love it. I will post mine tomorrow morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie,
    Everything looks so beautiful. The tree is lovely and your mosaic is perfect!! My husband and I watched "It's A Wonderful Life" last night. I had not watched the movie in it's entirety for quite some time. We really enjoyed it!
    Have a wonderful day.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! And I enjoyed the Christmas history as well. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, the mosaic is beautiful and your tree decorating afternoon sounds delightful. And yes, we now have artificial trees too. They are so much easier to decorate and make life a lot less stressful for you know who. LOL
    Hugs ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with you, it is so much easier to have a "fake" tree. I do miss taking the kids out to pick up the perfect tree, and the lovely evergreen smell too. We got our pretend Christmas tree two years ago after our real tree fell over in the middle of the night. The noise woke us up and we thought there were burglars in the house. LOL. We could not get it to stand back up again, so had to removed every ornament and start over with a new tree (the fake one)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning Christmas mosaic and love the festive decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Maggie , a lovely Christmas mosaic to start the week. I have been very busy reading " Redbird Christmas" what a lovely book, I will finish it today, thank you for the recommendation.

    Have a good week, Jackie in UK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tree Maggie...what a wonderful Christmas spirit you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loveliness...you make great mosaics Maggie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your trees are gorgeous. I din't know the story of Windsor Castle's Christmas tree - how interesting. You are right; cleaning up is much easier with an artificial tree.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, your tree is beautiful. I, too, used to have real trees, but the branches wouldn't hold my heavier ornaments, and oh, the mess. Your mosaic is charming. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Christmas mosaic filled with beautiful holiday things. I've not put up a tree at all for the past few years ... I just put out a few meaningful holiday treasures instead. Thanks for sharing all your festive views. As usual, I've published mosaics on three of my blogs ;-)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Maggie! Oh, your mosaic is so beautiful and your tree! Lovely! Thank you for coming in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen A Wonderful Life.
    Looks like I need to add it to my Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggie your mosaic this week is just gorgeous. I would so love a tour of your home. I admire your patience in the renovation of it. Thanks for choosing to follow my blog; I am honored. I would love for you to link up to Merry Merry Munchies and/or Crock Pot Wednesday. Come check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your trees! and your mosaic was so beautiful. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at your place.

    Isn't " It's A Wonderful Life" just a great movie? Jimmy Stewart was so perfect in that and in Harvey about the rabbit. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a wonderful life is one of my favorite Christmas movies. I love your trees and your pretty mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your tree is gorgeous! Love the before and after :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!