Saturday 12 March 2011

Dingle Town, Dingle Peninsula, Ireland.

Blogland is gearing itself up for St Patricks Day on Thursday and so for Chari's Sunday Favourites this week, a post from last year recalling a visit to Ireland that we made many years ago.
Chari very kindly hosts this wonderful Sunday gathering so that we may reprise our favourite posts of the past.
Click here or on the Sunday Favourites button on my sidebar to visit Chari and see who else is participating this week.

Welcome to Dingle................

About 20 years ago DH & I spent a few days visiting the Dingle Peninsula, Ireland. Our base was Milltown House in Dingle town, the only town on the peninsula.
The film director Michael Winner had written about this guesthouse in his weekly column for the Sunday Times and we were keen to try it for ourselves.
Do you remember the wonderful film "Ryan's Daughter"?
It was fimed in the area and the actor Robert Mitchum and his family lived at Milltown house for over a year whilst filming was going on.

DH took this dramatic shot of Coumeenole Beach, Slea Head, where part of the film was made.
"When Sir David Lean and the cast of Ryan's Daughter arrived in Dingle to start filming, it heralded the start of the Dingle Peninsula as a tourist destination. The superb cinematography and the natural beauty of the area as depicted on screen helped to make Dingle the popular holiday destination it is today. That was over 40 years ago, and since the completion of the movie, many of the cast and crew returned to Dingle on holidays, some settled here permanently. It is the sheer majesty of the landscapes and panoramic vistas that attracted the film makers, adding unique scenes to unique movies."
(Courtesy of dodingle.com)

Dingle is a very picturesque town with a harbour full of colourful fishing boats and plenty of even more colourful pubs.

Many of the pubs are also shops selling anything from bread and groceries to leather goods and hardware. One half of the premises is a pub and the other the shop.

If I recall correctly this pub had a tiny enclosed parlour, seperated from the main bar.
To learn more about St Patrick's Day, Ireland, Irish beer & much more click here.
Linking this post also to the Tablescapers Seasonal Sunday gathering, click here or on the sidebar button to join in too.

28 comments:

  1. Morning Maggie

    I have visited Southern Ireland on the way to and from Northern Ireland. Phil proposed to me in Dublin (fair city where the girls are so pretty) after a holiday in the North?!!! I am not a drinker but I love the way the pubs are like sitting rooms, little snug rooms, very comfy chairs....also the wonderful colourful external paint!!
    Happy St Patricks Day, Jackie in UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful pubs and photos. I love the shot of the beach, very pretty scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH what beautifully colorful pubs and pictures! I love the view of the beach! Happy Saint Paddy's day!

    Miss Bloomers/Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color of the pubs and the tranquility of the beach scene. I'd love to go to Ireland someday. DD is going later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love the colors of the buildings! How cheerful!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Maggie, thanks for the memories. We haven't been down that way for a long time. We have friends in East Galway, near Balinasloe, and we usually just end up there, imposing on them.

    Happy St. Pat's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dingle looks like a beautiful place to visit. I do remember watching that movie when I was younger. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure they aren't just visiting for the beer? Ha, ha.
    How quaint and inviting these pubs are. I think this would be a spectacular place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great pics, I grew up in England and was there 34 years and only got to Ireland once, that was Dublin and we did the Guinness tour etc, but not the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful colorful looking little town....We have never been to Ireland but I would love to go someday....I think their handmade items are some of the finest in the world....and the scenery looks amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were wonderful photos. The beach shot was beautiful and I love the colorful buildings! One day I would like to visit Ireland.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful pictures-the beach is quite lovely. I would love to go be in a cozy Irish pub right now!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! Love the shot your husband took. Dingle looks like a very picturesque town. I hope to someday visit Ireland.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos Maggie, esp. the one your hubby took! Thanks for sharing them. Makes me want to return to Ireland tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed that little taste of Ireland very much. It's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Maggie! I have actually never been to Ireland, but I have to say that your photos are exactly how I would picture it. Just beautiful! For now, it stays on my to-visit list! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found your blog because we both have Reiki listed as an interest. :-)

    I love your pictures! Going to Ireland (and Scotland & Germany) is on my Bucket List. I am from Canada.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS- I love Fannie Flagg too. have you read her newest? I quite enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That does look like a colorful little town Maggie! I'm sure you enjoyed your visit:@)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun tour you took us on. that looks like a really interesting place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How pretty and colorful! Would love to visit it someday. And yes you can stay as long as you want on my pool side, Maggie...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never seen that movie but I have been to Dingle and it is a beautiful area, as all of Ireland! We were there a few years ago and had a wonderful time horseback riding and walking on the coast. I think I need another trip over there! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never seen the movie, but your post sure makes me want to. What a glorious inspriational destination.

    Thank you for bringing Dingle to Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Maggie,
    What wonderful, colorful photos!! I really want to get to Ireland some day. Two of my brothers went there a couple of years ago and they had some beautiful photos.
    Hope you had a wonderful Sunday!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything looks JUST LIKE I imagine Ireland to look!

    I LOVE the color on those buildings, and how they seem to be just squatting right down on the sidewalk. The street is so shiny in one photo it looks like it was polished.

    And the countryside - - - so green - - - so heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a lovely place to visit. Happy St. Pat's to you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Maggie...

    My friend, this was the perfect post to share with us for Sunday Favorites this week...with St. Patrick's Day so near! I would just love to visit Ireland...maybe some day! I do say that Dingle Town and the peninsula is absolutely gorgeous...very picturesque! The photo that your husband got is magnificent! It would make a beautiful print for hanging!!! I just adore all the brightly colored shops and pubs...just as I would picture Ireland! You know, I remember the movie "Ryan's Daughter"...it's been quite awhile ago since I seen it though! How neat...to get to stay in the same place that some of the actors from the movie stayed!

    Well dear lady, thank you soooo very much for sharing Dingle Town, your trip, and lovely photos with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week...this was such a treat!

    Have a wonderful week, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos, Maggie. Makes me want to plan a trip to Ireland. I've never been.
    Happy St. Paddy's Day! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!