Sunday 26 June 2016

Mosaic Monday


June is usually the month when the famous Barfleur mussels find their way onto restaurant and cafe menus and great glistening piles of tumbling silvery black molluscs can be seen on market stalls and supermarket seafood stands.
But not this year.
"Every year the fishermen of Cotentin (Manche) find many dead mussels. In March 2016, during a survey, none were alive. Fishing is cancelled."
(Source: "Normandici")
Catastrophe! No moules this year from Normandy.


moules et frites July 2015
It's become a bit of a tradition that we always eat moules et frites on my birthday and I thought that it wouldn't be possible this year because fishing had been cancelled.
Ever the optimist the SP thought we might find moules on the menu in Grandcamp Maisy and he was right.
They weren't from Barfleur but they were French.
I think they came from Brittany.
They were o.k.
It's the thought that counts.

Joining Judith @ Lavender Dreamer for Mosaic Monday.
After 2 years of doing a fantastic job hosting MM
Judith will be stepping down next month,
We all hope that a new host will be in place very soon.


Mosaic Monday

19 comments:

  1. Oh what sad news Maggie - what type of disease or condition could be killing the Normandy mussels?
    Glad you still did your birthday celebration and love the harbour collage - oh to be back in France.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I know when I visited British Columbia there were often red tides that hurt the oysters. I'm glad you still had your yummy birthday dinner, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Maggie. Perhaps next year the mussels will return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, sorry you didn't get your traditional Barfleur moules for your birthday. Disappointing!
    Hope you had a lovely day regardless. Pretty mosaic. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame. I'm glad you still enjoyed your birthday regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Maggie, that is sad news about the mussels. My son and hubby love mussels. I do hope you still had a lovely birthday, even though you favorite meal was missing. Love the mosaics! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! I hope the mussel illness/contamination will be a one-season thing and that the Barfleur delicacies will be on the menu next year.
    Boats in the marina make for a great mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dare I call myself an 'inlander' Maggie? Not growing up eating seafood I like a few different types but have never been one for the delicacies you enjoy. A shame about the mussels and indeed, dinner out for one's birthday is the thought that counts.
    Thank you for linking to the final Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great harbor mosaic! I'm glad you found moules for your birthday and hope it was a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too bad. I wonder why they are dying. It's good that you were still able to have moules on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! What a shame about the mussels!
    I visited Normandy last fall for the first time and fell completely in love with it-loved the seafood (and apple brandy)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my what a wonderful time being on the coast and partaking of the wonderful seafood...lovely!


    Donna@GardensEyeView
    and LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how sad news that is, I wonder what could be the cause. Happy belated birthday though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos - glad you got to have a birthday treat anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful mosaic of the boats in the harbour! I love spending time near the ocean. So sorry to hear about the lack of mussels. I hope the situation rectifies next year. Pollution is really doing a number on fish and seafood everywhere... very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belated Happy Birthday!
    Beautiful... and delicious photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated Birthday! Sorry to hear about the mussels; they are so tasty! I do hope they recover.
    Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to learn from Judith that you are the new hostess of Mosaic Monday. Thank you for carrying on for all those of us who, though we may not participate so faithfully, love to check in on the beautiful collages. Yours today is especially nice and reminiscent of my corner in New England.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your visit just made my day!